- 2018. J. Pierskalla and A. Sacks. “Personnel Politics: Elections, Clientelistic Competition, and Teacher Hiring in Indonesia.” Accepted for publication, British Journal of Political Science.
2018. J. Pierskalla. “The Proliferation of Decentralized Governing Units.” Forthcoming, in: “Decentralized Governance and Accountability: Academic Research and the Future of Donor Programming“, edited by Jonathan Rodden and Erik Wibbels, Cambridge University Press. pre-print
- 2018. J. Pierskalla, A. De Juan, and M. Montgomery. “The Territorial Dynamics of Colonial State-Building: Quantitative and Qualitative Evidence from German East Africa 1890–1909.” Forthcoming, British Journal of Political Science. Blog Post
- 2018. J. Pierskalla and A. Sacks. “Unpaved Road Ahead: The Consequences of Election Cycles for Capital Expenditures.” Journal of Politics, 80 (2): 510-524. pre-print
- 2017. F. Hollenbach and J. Pierskalla. “A Re-Assessment of Reporting Bias in Event-Based Violence Data with Respect to Cell Phone Coverage.” Research & Politics, 4(3).
- 2017. J. Pierskalla, A. Schulz, and E. Wibbels. “Order, Distance, and Local Development Over the Long-Run.” Quarterly Journal of Political Science, 12 (4): 375-404. pre-print
2017. S. Dettman, T. Pepinsky, and J. Pierskalla. “Incumbency Advantage and Candidate Characteristics in Open-List Proportional Representation Systems: Evidence from Indonesia.” Electoral Studies, 48 (August): 111-120.
- 2017. G. Grossman, J. Pierskalla, and E. Boswell Dean.“Government Fragmentation and Public Goods Provision.” Journal of Politics, 79 (3): 823-840. Monkey Cage
- 2017. A. De Juan, F. Krautwald, and J. Pierskalla. “Constructing the State: Macro Strategies, Micro Incentives, and the Creation of Police Forces in Colonial Namibia.” Politics & Society, 45 (2):269-299. Appendix
- 2017. A. De Juan and J. Pierskalla. “The Comparative Politics of Colonialism and Colonial Legacies: Research Frontiers.‘” Introduction to the Special Issue. Politics & Society, 45 (2):159-172.
- 2016. T. Pepinsky, J. Pierskalla, and A. Sacks. “Bureaucracy and Service Delivery“, Annual Review of Political Science, 20: 249-268. pre-print
- 2015 M. Basedau, J. Fox, J. Pierskalla, G. Strüver and J. Vüllers. “Does discrimination breed grievances — and do grievances breed violence? New evidence from an analysis of religious minorities in developing countries“, Conflict Management & Peace Science, 34 (3): 217-239. pre-print
- 2017. J. Pierskalla and A. Sacks. “Unpacking the Effect of Decentralization on Routine Violence: Lessons from Indonesia.” World Development, 90 (February): 213-228. pre-print
- 2016. J. Pierskalla “The Politics of Urban Bias: Rural Threats and the Dual Dilemma of Political Survival“, Studies in Comparative International Development, 51 (3): 286-307. pre-print Supplementary Appendix
- 2016. C. Koos and J. Pierskalla. “The Effects of Oil Production and Ethnic Representation on Violent Conflict in Nigeria: A Mixed-Method Approach“, Terrorism and Political Violence, 28 (5): 888-911.
- 2016. J. Pierskalla. “Splitting the Difference? The Politics of District Creation in Indonesia“, Comparative Politics. Vol 48 (2): 249-268. Supplementary Appendix pre-print
- 2016. A. De Juan and J. Pierskalla. “Civil War Violence and Political Trust: Micro-level Evidence from Nepal“, Conflict Management & Peace Science. 33 (1): 67-88. Supplementary Appendix pre-print
- 2015. A. De Juan, J. Pierskalla and J. Vüllers. “The Pacifying Effects of Local Religious Institutions: An Analysis of Communal Violence in Indonesia“, Political Research Quarterly. Vol. 68 (2), pp.211-224. pre-print Supplementary Appendix
- 2015. A. Mähler and J. Pierskalla. “Indigenous Identity, Natural Resources and Contentious Politics in Bolivia: A Disaggregated Conflict Analysis 2000-2011“, Comparative Political Studies. Vol.48 (3). pp.301-332. pre-print
- 2015. A. De Juan and J. Pierskalla. “Manpower to Coerce and Co-opt — State Capacity and Political Violence in Southern Sudan 2006-2010“, Conflict Management & Peace Science. Vol. 32 (2). pp.175-199. Supplementary Online Appendix pre-print
- 2014. B. Barber, J. Pierskalla and S. Weschle. “Lobbying and the Collective Action Problem: Comparative Evidence from Enterprise Surveys“, Business & Politics. Vol. 16 (2). pp.221-246. pre-print
- 2014. Z. Hasnain, N. Manning and J. Pierskalla. “The Promise of Performance Pay? Reasons for Caution in Policy Prescriptions in the Core Civil Service”, World Bank Research Observer. Vol. 29 (2). pp.235-264. pre-print. A prior version has appeared as World Bank Policy Research Working Paper No. 6043. 2012
- 2014. S. Zeigler, J. Pierskalla and S. Mazumder. “War and the Reelection Motive: Examining the Effect of Term Limits“, Journal of Conflict Resolution. Vol. 58 (4), pp.658-684. Erratum pre-print
- 2014. M. Basedau and J. Pierskalla. “How Ethnicity Conditions the Effect of Oil and Gas on Civil Conflict: A Spatial Analysis of Africa from 1990 to 2010“, Political Geography, Vol. 38 (1), pp.1-11. pre-print
- 2013. J. Pierskalla and F. Hollenbach. “Technology and Collective Action: The Effect of Cell Phone Coverage on Political Violence in Africa“, American Political Science Review, Vol. 107, No. 2, pp.207-224. free pdf, media coverage 1 Foreign Policy Slate
- 2010. J. Pierskalla. “Protest, Deterrence and Escalation: The Strategic Calculus of Government Repression“, Journal of Conflict Resolution, Vol. 54 (1), pp.117-145. pre-print